Calling All Planet Heroes: Food Choices (Grades 4 - 8)
bet36体育在线真的吗Planet Earth is an incredible—and unique—place in our solar system. It is the only planet that supports a diverse system of life! Earth has been able to support and take care of both plants and animals, including humans. So, how do we humans take care of Earth just like it takes care of us?
In this interactive program, students will take on the role of Planet Heroes as they are challenged to design and implement solutions to benefit wildlife, ecosystems, and global communities through one surprising avenue: our food systems!
This program integrates the Next Generation Science Standards by focusing on:
- Crosscutting Concepts: Patterns & Cause and Effect
- Science and Engineering Practice: Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
Day of Week: Thursdays
Duration: 40-60 minutes depending on your schedule
Target Audience: 4th-8th graders in schools, libraries, homeschool groups, and more
Price: $70 per session
Title I Discount: 50% off
Bulk Discount: 20% off (pre-book 5+ sessions)
Group Size: 8-65 students per session
Multilingual support: English, Cantonese, and Mandarin
In this 40-60 minute program, we will explore the innovation and ingenuity of individuals across the planet who are designing ways to support ecosystems and communities.
Students will build and reflect upon their own ideas about one of the biggest impacts on Earth’s ecosystems: feeding all humans.
Throughout the program, students will be challenged to design simple, personal solutions for minimizing those impacts while meeting the needs of humans, plants, and other animals on our planet. By the end of the program, they will create their own Planet Hero Action Plan!
Specific challenges that students may design solutions for involve changing food choices and reducing food waste. For example, did you know that the #1 thing that clogs landfills in the US is wasted food? Or, that it takes a half-of-a-football-field worth of space to feed just one person in the US? When you add all of those needs up, it’s easy to see why there is less space for important ecosystems that provide clean air, water filtration, and space for more living things.
- Use the preparation checklist to make sure you don't miss a step in the process.
- Review the program summary to learn about materials you will need, pre and post activities, and expectations for the day.
- The technical guide will help you become more familiar with our online platform, .
- Nervous about the technology? with Academy staff to walk you through how to connect the day of the program.
Science and Engineering Practices:
- Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
Disciplinary Core Idea
- MS-ESS3.C Human Impacts on Earth Systems: Human activities have altered the biosphere, sometimes damaging it, although changes to environments can have different impacts for different living things.
- Cause and Effect
Related Performance Expectations:
This Virtual Program is just one step toward reaching the Performance Expectations listed below. Addition supporting materials/lessons/activities will be required.
5-ESS3-1 Obtain and combined information about ways individual communities use science ideas to protect the Earth's resources and environment.
MS-ESS3-4 bet36体育在线真的吗Construct an argument supported by evidence for how increases in human population and per-capita consumption of natural resources impact Earth's systems.