Mystery Skulls (Grades 3-5)
Come face-to-face with a diverse array of Academy skulls! Watch a live colony of flesh-eating beetles in action as they devour and clean flesh from bones. Examine eye sockets, teeth, and other features to find out if the mystery skulls are predators or prey.
This program integrates the Next Generation Science Standardsbet36体育在线真的吗 by focusing on:
- Crosscutting Concept: Structure and Function
Day of Week: Tuesdays
Duration: 40 - 60 minutes
Target Audience: 3rd - 5th graders in schools, libraries, homeschool groups, and more
Price: $70 per session
Title I Discount: 50% off
Bulk Discount: 20% off (pre-book 5+ sessions)
Group Size: 8-65 students per session
Multilingual support: English and Spanish
bet36体育在线真的吗Although skulls can't talk, they can communicate a lot with their teeth and eye sockets! In this live, interactive program, your students will become Science Detectives in order to solve the mysteries that skulls communicate.
As Science Detectives, students will bite into their first mystery: What did this animal eat? Together they will solve a mystery that was looking at us straight in the face: Is this animal a predator or prey?bet36体育在线真的吗 Then, they will practice their detective skills to determine the identity of two mystery animal skulls. Finally, we will all watch a live colony of flesh-eating beetles in action as they devour and clean flesh from bones to see how an Academy scientist cleans a skull. Eeeeww!
Please note: This program requires you, the teacher, to purchase food items which will be eaten during the program.
Teachers - Please prepare the following materials for each student so they can explore different teeth to eat different types of food. (Each student will only need to chew a small piece or slice when our educators instruct to do so.)
- Food item chewed with incisors/front teeth (strawberries, celery, or apples)
- Food item chewed with canines/fang teeth (dried fruit, jerky, or dry baguette)
- Food item chewed with molars/back teeth (popcorn, pretzels, or nuts)
Please be mindful of students’ food allergies. The food types listed here are only suggestions; other foods can be used to make the same points.
- Use the preparation checklist to make sure you don't miss a step in the process.
- Review the program summary to learn about materials you will need, pre and post activities, and expectations for the day.
- The technical guide will help you become more familiar with our online platform, .
- Nervous about the technology? with Academy staff to walk you through how to connect the day of the program.
Disciplinary Core Ideas
- 4-LS1.A – Structure and function: Plants and animals have both internal and external structures that serve various functions in growth, survival, behavior, and reproduction.
- Structure and Function
Related Performance Expectation:
This Virtual Program is just one step toward reaching the Performance Expectation listed below. Addition supporting materials/lessons/activities will be required.
4-LS1-1.bet36体育在线真的吗 Construct an argument that plants and animals have internal and external structures that function to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.