Rainforest Meals: Adaptations for Eating (Grades 3 - 4)
bet36体育在线真的吗Rainforests are filled with animals of many shapes and sizes. All of these animals, from insects to mammals, need food to survive. Explore the adaptations for eating in some amazing rainforest animals and closely observe the skulls of a few of the organisms we meet.
This program integrates the Next Generation Science Standardsbet36体育在线真的吗 by focusing on:
- Crosscutting Concept: Structure and Function
- Science and Engineering Practice: Engaging in argument from evidence
Day of Week: Thursdays (starting January 2020)
Duration: 30 - 45 minutes
Target Audience: 3rd-4th graders in schools, libraries, homeschool groups, and more
Price: $70 per session
Title I Discount: 50% off
Bulk Discount: 20% off (pre-book 5+ sessions)
Group Size: 8-65 students per session
Multilingual support: English and Spanish
bet36体育在线真的吗In this live, interactive program, students will meet and learn about some of the many animals in the tropical rainforest.
The program will begin by introducing students to the rainforest and look for food sources. By observing some of these animals, students will predict what they might eat and what body parts they use to get their food. Using exciting videos, we will discuss how we know what something eats. Looking at skulls, students will discover some of the physical adaptations animals have to eat.
Then, we will discuss how physical and behavioral adaptations work together to help some snakes eat.
Finally, the class will have a chance to ask questions of Academy staff all about these rainforest animals!
- Use the preparation checklist to make sure you don't miss a step in the process.
- Review the program summary to learn about materials you will need, pre and post activities, and expectations for the day.
- The technical guide will help you become more familiar with our online platform, .
- Nervous about the technology? with Academy staff to walk you through how to connect the day of the program.
Science and Engineering Practices:
- Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
- Engaging in Argument from Evidence
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- 4-LS1.A – Structure and function: Plants and animals have both internal and external structures that serve various functions in growth, survival, behavior, and reproduction.
- Structure and Function
Related Performance Expectation:
This Virtual Program is just one step toward reaching the Performance Expectation listed below. Addition supporting materials/lessons/activities will be required.
3-LS3-2. Use evidence to support the explanation that traits can be influenced by the environment.
4-LS1-1. Construct an argument that plants and animals have internal and external structures that function to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
bet36体育在线真的吗W.3.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
bet36体育在线真的吗W.3.8 Recall information from experiences or gather information from print and digital sources; take brief notes on sources and sort evidence into provided categories.