Explore the physical properties of rocks, minerals, and sand through hands-on observation and investigation. Discover the difference between igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks, learn about the rock cycle, and trace the mineral resources used to manufacture objects that you use every day. While appropriate for grades 2 - 5, this kit emphasizes science content standards for grade 4.
- curriculum binder
- 3 rocks (metamorphic, igneous, sedimentary)
- 3 station stands (metamorphic, igneous, sedimentary)
- 5 "Mineral" cards
- 24 cards with theme song lyrics
- rock cycle role play diagram
- Mineral Match guide
- 5 sets of 8 minerals
- 5 sets of 8 common objects (containing minerals)
- 5 sets of aluminum nails
- 5 sets of paper clips
- 10 streak plates (5 black, 5 white)
- 10 hand lenses
- CD with Google Earth file
- Sandyland map and 6 sand samples
- 6 parachutes
- Sandyland clue cards
- 6 Trays
- 6 Magnifiers
- 6 Magnet pens
- Books and Booklets: "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rocks of the World" by John Farndon, "Eyewitness: Rocks and Minerals" by Dr. R.F. Symes and the staff of the Natural History Museum, London, "Kaleidoscope: Minerals" by Roy A. Gallant, "Kaleidoscope: Rocks" by Roy A Gallant
- Videos and DVDs: "In the Ground: Geology, Tectonics, & Rocks" (Squibs by Ignite! Learning),
Rock Cycle Role Play: bet36体育在线真的吗Sing along and act out the rock cycle to really understand how rocks change form.
Mineral Match: bet36体育在线真的吗What mineral is in toothpaste? What mineral is in chalk? Learn to identify minerals and then match them with everyday products.
Google Earth Geology Field Trip: Make California geology come to life by going on a virtual field trip from the coast to the Sierras.
Sandyland: bet36体育在线真的吗Determine the characteristics of sand to discover where it came from.
Cookie Mining: Minerals are nonrenewable resources. Learn about the process of mineral extraction and some of the environmental consequences.